We started 2016 with a lot of hope for what the year would bring us. We planned to be unstoppable. We had lots of anticipation and courage. We were going to be stubborn. We shot for the moon. We made a lot of promises. We hoped to spread kindness like the flames of a wildfire.
It was rarely calm and was often moody and maddening. At times we moped, and at times we faded. It was original and quite festive. We asked lots of tough questions and worked hard to protect our sacred treasure. Thankfully, Mariah shined a lofty light over us to help us stay resilient and keep our vigor.
- We saw the Harlem Globetrotters
- Mariah turned 36
- Miles turned 7
- Miles learned how to ride his bike without training wheels
- Madden and Miles got in a few (really many) fights with each other
- Madden and Miles played baseball
- We spent Spring break in Orlando, FL and went to Disney World
- Madden finished the 2nd grade
- Miles finished the 1st grade
- We went fishing, but lost our patience
- Miles and Max got in fights with each other
- Madden spent 2 weeks at Camp Rockmont in Black Mountain, NC
- Mariah spent one of the weeks with him at Camp Rockmont as a camp nurse
- We went to Monster Jam at Nissan Stadium
- Max took swim lessons
- We drove all the way to Amelia Island. We even took Maggie with us and she loved the beach.
- Maggie turned 1
- Madden turned 9
- Madden started the 3rd grade
- Miles started the 2nd grade
- Max started pre-school
- Madden and Miles got in more fights with each other
- Max turned 4
- Max started playing T-ball
- Madden and Miles played fall baseball and flag football
- Miles and Max got in more fights
- We had panned to go back to Amelia Island but ended up visiting Panama City Beach for fall break due tothe hurricane
- I was invited to a Transplant Administration conference in San Diego, CA, and Mariah got to go with me. We stayed at the Hotel del Coronado.
- Mariah and I had our 11th wedding anniversary
- I turned 41
- Madden completed the requirements for his Wolf badge in Cub Scouts and began working on the requirements for his Bear badge
- Miles completed the requirements for his Tiger badge in Cub Scouts and began working on the requirements for his Wolf badge
- We participated in the Hike for the Homeless at Edwin Warner Park Mariah’s family
- Madden started taking piano lessons
- Mariah started taking a boot camp class and has fallen in love with the class
- Mariah continues to work in the float pool for the Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital Outpatient Clinics
- I accepted a new position as the Administrative Director of the Heart and Vascular Institute at Vanderbilt and will begin my new role in February 2017
- We bought the boys a trampoline
- The boys and I visited my sister and brother-in-law in West Hollywood, CA
It was a long path, but we all made it. A lot of this may sound ordinary or like a bunch of folly. You may or may not feel we deserve an ovation. Regardless, this is our life and we love it. We are a family and we love being together (well, most of the time).
As 2016 vanishes, I am reminded of a prayer that Mariah and I really like to pray:
No one said this would be easy and no one said it was going to be this hard. But may the day come when we can say “Praise the Lord, we have come this far.”
We wish each and everyone of our family and friends a Happy New Year. We hope you can find time to relax and hope that you find great fortune at finding your place as you construct your journey throughout 2017. Finally, we hope God elicits many blessings (or at least opportunities) for you and your family.